Cosmetic Scientist and Founder of Shop Amelia Maysun gave us her tips for dealing with oily skin.
“It may seem like a good idea to use products that dry out your skin, but in the long term that is not a good idea as they stimulate the production of more sebum. Instead opt for a routine that is gentle with lightweight non-pore clogging products like light liquids, serums and gels. Check out some of the top tips for dealing with oily skin below!”
- Cleanse, it is important to cleanse your face at least twice daily to rid it of all the accumulated dirt and oil build-up which leads to clogged pores, acne etc. Gel-based or foaming cleansers (fragrance free) are the best for oily skin.
- Tone: Tone daily to help eliminate excess oil and banishing dirt from your skin. Be sure to find one that is Alcohol free.
- Exfoliate: Oily skin needs exfoliation once or twice a week using gentle non-abrasive products to eliminate dirt and dead skin cells to renew your skin’s surface.
- Moisturise: Oily skin needs moisture and hydration too. Stripping the skin of moisture will only further encourage the sebaceous glands to produce more oil to compensate. Choose products that are oil-free, non-comedogenic, a water-based moisturiser is recommended.
- Sunscreen: With so many well formulated sunscreens on the market, don’t let the fear of greasiness make you skip this step. Choose a sunscreen that is gel- based that will leave your face matte and offer adequate sun protection.